Thousands of households in Wyre Forest still have not registered anyone living there to vote, as part of this year’s canvass.

Wyre Forest District Council is urging residents who have not already responded to the 2017 electoral canvass to do so immediately.

There is now just over 2 weeks left before the annual election canvass closes on 30 November 2017.  By law, every resident in the Wyre Forest district must register, whether or not they intend to vote in future elections.

So far just over 91% of households (42,769) have responded, but it is important that the other 9% (3,917) respond now.  The council has already sent out reminder letters and made personal visits to homes where they have not responded.  More home visits are being made to areas where response rates are low and households may be contacted by telephone too.

It is a legal requirement that every household either confirms or updates the details for their home.  This can be done online, over the telephone or by text message.  It is then up to individuals to make sure they have registered to vote. 

Ian Miller, Electoral Registration Officer said:

“We want to help Wyre Forest residents to have their say and make sure they do not miss out on the opportunity to vote in future elections. However, even if you don’t want to vote, you still need to be registered. You are required by law to respond and register every year and you can face the risk of being fined up to £1,000 if you don’t.”

He added:

“Another reason to register is to help maintain your credit rating.  Credit Reference Agencies use information from the register of electors to update their records.  This means it can be much harder to obtain credit if you are not on the electoral register.”

Anyone who has lost their form or needs help to complete one should contact 01562 732928 or email .Additional information is available at